Maryville Tennessee History
The city of Maryville, TN, tucked away in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, goes back far in American history. The area in and around it was once home to the Great Indian War Trail and the site of a Cherokee village, which was located right next to Heritage High School, where Heritage High School is now located.
The settlement, named after the town's incorporation on July 11, 1795, was established and laid out in Blount County, which was established by an Act of 1795. The county town of Maryville is named for its proximity to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and the Tennessee River.
In 1844, legislators tried to create a new county in Blount County with a population of about 1,000 and a land area of 1.5 square miles.
Many settlers and land speculators bypassed the upper Tennessee River Valley by hiking through Cumberland Gap and sailing to Nashville, later Nashville. Many of those who lived near the railroad towns of Bristol, Knoxville and Chattanooga cast their votes for secession from the Confederate States of America. East Tennessee voters also supported secession, but Middle and West Tennessee counties voted to join the new confederation because they feared losing trade to the Ohio River market.
In early May 1822, Silas McClure took a cart and two horses and returned to Blount County, Tennessee, and stayed with the family for a year. The rebel whirlwind, in the form of Wheeler's cavalry, blew through the hills of Cumberland Gap, a timely move that saved most of Sanders's cavalry. Convinced that storming the heights would be too costly in time and labor, Wheeler and his cavalry crossed the Holston, joined Longstreet in its advance to Knoxville, and then retreated to Blunt County.
The tornado that ripped through Loudon County passed through the town of Blount County and ended west of Maryville. The river - the Knoxville-based empire - proved fleeting, however, because the Tennessee River's suction floes, which flowed through Knox County and eventually reached the Ohio River, prevented boats from reaching the Mississippi for most of the year. Meanwhile, the cotton towns of Nashville and Memphis began to siphon off the little political power that East Tennessee still had. The Creek Stock Creek, which is on the border between the town and Knox County, was too deep to be ridden by horses, and the bridge over it was partially destroyed.
It soon became clear that Nashville, which was located on the more navigable Cumberland River, might one day be like this, and it was Knoxville that became the center of the Tennessee River's economic and political power in East Tennessee. But it soon became clear that it could one day be the capital of a new state, Tennessee, which would include Nashville and Memphis. Louisville was located on the Tennessee River and was a place of great importance in the times of steamship. The wooden bridge spanning Stock Creek between the city of Maryville and Louisville, Kentucky, was the first of its kind in Tennessee and one of only a handful of wooden bridges in America.
The Confederates relied on railroads to transport salt and lead from southwest Virginia and copper and food to East Tennessee. In 1864, the region received a new rail link between Knoxville and Virginia, Georgia, strengthening its small but growing trading class, and businesses founded cities like Calderwood on the Little Tennessee River. The Confederates relied on railroads to transport salt and lead across southwest Virginia and to transport copper, food and trade slaves over the levees of Memphis. Leading Confederates, including future Confederate Nathan Bedford Forrest, reaffirmed their support for the creation of a separate East Tennessee state.
The Blount - Loudon Civil War Trail starts in Maryville, TN, passes through Friendsville and Lenoir City and ends in Greenback TN. ALCOA also provided funding for the construction of McGhee Tyson Airport, serving Knoxville and East Tennessee, and other infrastructure in the region.
Maryville was founded in 1785 by John Craig on the site of a former Cherokee village and named after his wife Mary Craig and her husband William Craig. The Craig family moved there with their three children in the early 18th century and was named Maryville after their mother.
Gideon Blackburn was still in Indiana in Vincennes, and when he learned that the family was moving, he followed the Military Road that opened to land tobacco on the Ohio River near Leavenworth, Indiana, and followed it into the area that is now Maryville, Tennessee. In the spring of 1790 Joseph took his two sons, his wife and their two daughters and moved to a region that pleased him. From there, he went to Kentucky and met with another family in the Cumberland Gap region. The family were accompanied by Joseph's brother-in-law John Craig, his sister Mary Craig and her husband William Craig.